JUDGE Steward M. Hanson, Jr. Third District Court Salt Lake City, Utah

Donald M. Hull, Investigator

"Ted Bundy" prison Utah
Ted Bundy’s first prison booking photo, March 24, 1976 and record card. Courtesy Utah Dept. of Corrections
  • NAME: BUNDY, Theodore Robert
  • ADDRESS; 413 B Street, SLC
  • BIRTHDATE: 11/24/1946
  • BIRTHPLACE: Burlington, Vermont
  • COURT CASE NO: 28629
  • OFFENSE: Aggravated Kidnapping, Felony I
  • SENTENCE: 5 to Life, Utah State Prison
  • PLEA: Not Guilty
  • CONVICTED: 3/1/76
  • DEFENSE ATTORNEY: John O’Connell and Bruce Lubeck

COMPLAINT: That on or about the 8th day of November, 1974, in Salt Lake City, State of Utah, the said Theodore Robert Bundy did intentionally or knowingly, by force, threat, or deceit, detain or restrain Carol DaRonch against her will with the intent to: a) Facilitate the commission of or attempted commission of a felony, to-wit: criminal homicide or aggravated assault; or, b) Inflict bodily injury on or to terrorize Carol DaRonch.

A. OFFICIAL VERSION: The official version of the offense may be taken from the Records of the Murray City Police Department, the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s office and the Utah Highway Patrol records.

B. DEFENDANT’S VERSION: Theodore Robert Bundy was interviewed at length on March 3, 1976 and again at length on March 11, 1976. During the course of these interviews he denied that he had been guilty in an aggravated kidnapping of Carol DaRonch on November 8, 1974. However, when he was asked why there seems to be such an overwhelming abundance of evidence linking him with this Aggravated Kidnapping and the fact that he was found guilty on the basis of this evidence, he stated that he feels he was not convicted on the basis of physical evidence alone. He indicated he does not harbor any paranoid feelings or personal vendetta having been launched against him by the Judge or police or any other officials, but he does feel that Carol DaRonch was placed under considerable pressure, thus resulting in her misidentification of him. Mr. Bundy stated, “Carol DaRonch was shown several hundred photographs” before she came to a definite conclusion that he, Ted Bundy, was the man who allegedly abducted her.

The defendant was very controlled and calm throughout the interview in talking about his opinions and feelings of why he was found guilty. He stated that he felt that Carol DaRonch was kidnapped by someone and that extreme pressure was placed on her to point out a particular individual. He stated that he feels she wanted very much to catch someone. He felt that the police methods in interrogation and interview with Carol DaRonch were a form of subtle coercion on him, leading her to make a pointed identification of him. He feels that Carol DaRonch became reinforced repeatedly throughout seeing his picture and his automobile. Theodore Bundy was aware that Carol DaRonch had stated that she was with the assailant for approximately 20 to 30 minutes on November 8, 1974. Mr. Bundy stated, however, that he and his attorney had walked through the mall and retraced the steps that Carol said that he and her abductor had progressed on November 8, 1974. Mr. Bundy stated that he and his attorneys walked through the mall in approximately 16 minutes. Ted made strong point of this, stating that this probably would not give one enough time to make a positive identification. He indicated also that he found that during the trial Carol DaRonch had seen her abductor for a period of only three minutes; and, therefore, he feels again that she could not make a positive identification on the basis of that paucity of time.

Mr. Bundy stated further that he feels very strongly that Carol DaRonch gave very different statements regarding the physical description of her abductor. He stated, for example, that Carol DaRonch in her initial testimony stated that the assailant had worn a mustache. She later changed that story, but then again (at a future point) came back to asserting that she was not sure that his picture looked that much like her assailant until “the police used their several tactics on her.” Mr. Bundy reiterated several times that he feels he was not convicted on the basis of physical evidence alone. This was all of the information which Mr. Bundy cared to give regarding this area of his feelings concerning why he was found guilty.

Ted Bundy in court the day he was found guilty in the Carol DaRonch kidnapping case. March 1, 1976.

PRIOR RECORD: A check with the Records of the Utah State Bureau of Criminal Identification, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and with the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office revealed that the defendant has offenses dating back to 8/16/75. It should be pointed out that interviews were held with Detectives Jerry Thompsons, Chief Investigator for the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office on the Bundy case and also with Mr. Robert Keppel, the Chief Detective Investigator of the Bundy case in the State of Washington. Both of these officers indicated that there are no prior offenses on Mr. Bundy. The first offense on Mr. Bundy’s record was that of 8/16/75, or the date he was arrested for attempting to evade a police officer.

  • 8/16/75- Attempt to Evade Police Officer; Disposition Pending
  • 10/2/75- Agg Kidnapping- Present Offense 
  • 10/2/75- Criminal Homicide- Dismissed
  • 8/21/75- W/A Poss Burglary Tools; Disposition Pending

Note: It should be mentioned that the pending offense of Fraudulent Application for a Motor Vehicle Titles does not show up at this time on his official records. However, as the court is aware, Preliminary Hearing on this offense has been set for March 23, 1976 in the Salt Lake City Court.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION: Theodore Robert Bundy was born as Theodore Robert Cowell (the defendant’s mother’s maiden name) on November 24, 1946 Burlington, Vermont. The defendant and his mother, currently Mrs. Louise Bundy, in independent interviews asserted that Ted was born illegitimately as the result of sexual encounters between Mrs. Bundy and a young man with whom she had a close affinity in Vermont. Ostensibly, the young man was a sailor stationed in the Burlington area in 1946. Records in Vermont show that the man, Ted’s father, may have been Jack Worthington, and confirm the fact that Mrs. Bundy spent 63 days in the Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers just prior to Ted’s birth. Shortly after Ted’s birth, Mrs. Bundy and Ted moved from Burlington, Vermont to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where Mrs. Bundy’s parents resided. For the next four years, approximately, the defendant and his mother were housed in Philadelphia. From all indications Mrs. Bundy and Ted were well received by their relatives and no undue stigma or trauma was attached to this out-of-wedlock birth. It has been confirmed that Ted’s last name was legally changed from Cowell to Nelson on October 6, 1949 in a Philadelphia courthouse. There is no evidence to show that Mrs. Bundy married a man by the name of Nelson. Mrs. Bundy did not confirm this, nor did Ted. Ted is not aware that his mother was ever married except to her present husband, John Bundy. It has been verified that Ted and his mother moved to Brown’s Point, near Tacoma Washington in 1951. Ted’s name was changed a second time, from Nelson to Bundy, in 1951 after John Bundy formally adopted Ted.

Ted Bundy and his mother Louise, circa 1950.

The defendant reported to this agent on March 3, 1976 that he initially was not close to his father, John Bundy, but later “learned to love him.” Ted expressed a feeling of deep love and concern for his mother going back to as far as he could remember. He asserted that he has always been close to her and would frequently approach her with his problems as a youngster. Ted allegedly was not disciplined actively by his mother by his own admission. He was seemingly disciplined most by his father who used what the defendant termed as “the force of authority” to implement controls on Ted. The defendant stated that his mother frequently was a mediator between John Bundy and Ted and sought to arbitrate disputes between father and son. It has been suggested that Ted gained concessions in the hope from his mother by pitting the father and the mother against one another. The frequency of such encounters, however, is not known but it was admitted by Ted.

It was reported to this agent that Ted was doted upon by his mother and relatives and may have learned early in life that he was quite special; however the extent of this is purely speculative. Shortly after John and Louise Bundy were married Ted’s mother became pregnant and had Linda Bundy in 1952. Glenn Bundy followed in 1953; Sandra Bundy arrived in 1956 and Richard in 1961. The constellation of the Bundy family then is as follows: John C. Bundy, adoptive father, age 55; Louise Bundy, natural mother, age 51; Theodore Bundy, age 29; Linda Bundy, sister, age 23; Glenn Bundy, brother, age 22; Sandra Bundy, a married sister, age 19; and Richard Bundy, a brother, age 14. Ted Bundy said to this agent that his closest affiliation within his family has been between he and his mother and between he and his brother, Richard. He indicated he loves all of his family members but feels closest to his mother and to Richard. He stated that he feels close to Richard because Richard is quite a bit younger than he and Ted feels sort of a paternal relationship to Richard.

Ted Bundy with his brother Richard. Undated. Courtesy Liz Kloepfer/Amazon Studios.

Ted asserted that his parents reside currently in Tacoma, Washington. His father is employed at he present time at the Madigan Hospital on the Ft. Lewis, Washington Grounds, and is salaried as a diet cook. Mrs. Bundy is employed gainfully as a secretary at the University of Puget Sound. Ostensibly, only one of Ted’s siblings, Richard, age 14, lives at home. The defendant’s brother Glenn is serving currently in the U.S. Navy and is stationed somewhere in the Orient. Linda is age 23 and resides somewhere in the city of Tacoma. Sandra Bundy, a married sister, age 19, also resides in the Tacoma area with her husband. According to Mrs. Bundy and to Ted, there have been no criminal charges ever brought to bear against other family members.

Ted Bundy with his siblings, circa 1963. From left to right: Linda, Ted, Richard, Glenn, Sandra.

The defendant listed his major hobbies and interests as including politics, skiing, creative writing and travel. He asserted that his major ambitions in life are to become a criminal law attorney in order that he might “right numerous wrongs presently incurred by the legal-judicial system,” and to get married and raise a family. He also has expressed on occasion a propensity for becoming Governor of the State of Washington in the distant future. It was apparently a desire which he had in the past, he no longer feels though that this is a realistic endeavor. 

It is of interest that the defendant displayed marked signs of hostility when asked about his early childhood. Specifically, when he was asked about his “real father’s whereabouts,” his face became quite contorted and reddened and he paused momentarily. He then gained composure and replied rather succinctly and approximately: “You might say that he left my mother and me and never rejoined the family.” It should be mentioned at this point that Ted Bundy was rather candid in his statements and seemed desirous and eager to answer any questions put to him by this agent. He seemed, conversely, to lose composure regarding his feelings about his father having left the home, and in another area wherein he was asked to give a description of the container in which the handcuffs were purported by him to have been found. However, during the more than four hours in session with Mr. Bundy, he was basically well composed and able to give rapid and clear responses to questions asked him. 

MARITAL HISTORY: Theodore Robert Bundy has never been married. He was, however, engaged at one point to be married in December 1975 to Elizabeth Kloepfer. Miss Kloepfer broke off the engagement prior to December 1975 after she had learned that Mr. Bundy had been arrested in Salt Lake City on August 16, 1975.

DATING AND SEXUAL HISTORY: From information gathered it was learned that Ted Bundy began dating around the age of 20. He was assessed by friends, teachers, and acquaintances as appearing to them somewhat naive and shy about females while attending junior high school and also Wilson High School in Tacoma. It was reported that he, on several occasions, was caught masturbating by his peers in the broom closet within his classroom at junior high school which he was attending. Some fellow classmates would, reportedly, on these occasions, open the door and throw cups of water on him and tease him. Mr. Bundy, when asked about this, denied that particular allegation.

While attending Wilson High School in Tacoma, Mr. Bundy was depicted as a loner. His affections reportedly were frequently sought by the girls in school who described him as “very handsome.” Ted did not date in high school as far as peers could recall and it was assumed by most that he must have had a girlfriend near his home or some other place, or chose not to date at all.

Ted Bundy’s first known bonafide girlfriend was Diane Edwards. Ted ostensibly met Diane in central Washington around 1967 and dated her until 1972 when he reports to this agent that he dated Diane Edwards when he was enrolled at Stanford University where she also was enrolled nd where he was taking Chinese studies. He also had seen her in Washington while enrolled in the University of Washington. They dated for several years until approximately 1972 when he reports that they mutually agreed to break off their relationship because they felt it was not that serious. However, it should be mentioned that information has been gathered showing that Diane Edwards was the one who broke off the relationship after Ted Bundy used her money and credit cards to purchase things for himself. Ted admitted that he thinks on some occasions he did use some of her money.

Diane Edwards and Ted Bundy, 1973.

In 1970 Ted met Elizabeth Kloepfer (presently age 30) in Seattle. She has been married once previously and was divorced when they met one another. She had a daughter, Molly, currently age 10 years from her former marriage. She and Ted dated from 1970 until shortly after his arrest on August 16, 1975. They have been writing letters to one another even while Ted has been residing in the Salt Lake City County jail. She also was seen by him when she accompanied Mr. and Mrs. Bundy to Ted’s trial. Elizabeth Kloepfer and Ted were initially planning to marry in December of 1975 but his arrest and her suspicions initially of him resulted in her calling off the marriage. Elizabeth and Ted frequently have had sexual relations and have lived with one another for several years in Washington. According to statements made by Elizabeth Kloepfer to Jerry Thompson their sexual relations were normal to begin with, but then rather suddenly changing in 1974 after he purchased a book entitled “the Joys of Sex” which blatantly depicts rather unusual sexual acts. Shortly after his purchase of this book, he began having anal intercourse with her according to statements which she made to Jerry Thompson. He reportedly became more demanding of her in the experimentation of sexual acts, possibly obtained from the book he purchased, and began on occasion tying her legs apart with nylon stockings and performing sexual acts, including the aforementioned anal intercourse with her. Ted lived with her in an apartment in Seattle for several years and was assessed in his relationship with her as being a good father figure to her daughter. According to an interview with Detective Keppel, King County Sheriffs Office, Miss Kloepfer came into the office and reported to him and to other officers that it was her suspicions that Ted Bundy was involved with the slayings of the eight girls in the central Washington area as he fit the composite picture which was distributed in that area. It should be mentioned that two interviews were held with Elizabeth Kloepfer by this agent and on both occasions she was very adamant in stating that she does not feel that Ted was involved in the slayings in Seattle. She also indicated to this agent that sexual relations between them were normal and that she wishes now that she had never talked to the King County Sheriff’s office, or to Jerry Thompson or to Ira Beal, or any other police officer.

Ted Bundy and Liz Kloepfer, 1973. Courtesy Liz Kloepfer/Amazon Studios.

While dating Elizabeth Kloepfer the defendant was clandestinely dating a girl by the name of Mary Lynn Chino, who currently resides in Seattle, Washington. He also had intimate relations with her and Ted apparently “used” her as he did his other girlfriends. Ted Bundy indicated that his relationship to Mary Lynn Chino was strictly platonic; however, Miss Kloepfer stated that she suspected the defendant as having had relations with other women, as his sexual habits changed, and he came back to her tired on many occasions -and rather suddenly- in 1974. 

While employed the Harbor View Mental Health Center in Seattle, between 2/19/72 and September of 1972, Ted met a girl by the name of Sandi Gwinn. Sandi Gwinn and Ted Bundy were employed as counselors during the summer of 1972 and began dating. They had sexual intrcourse on several occasions. On one such occasion, Sandy Gwinn recalls that while engaged in intercourse with Ted that he put his elbow over her throat and she could not breathe. She called out several times for him to stop this and she believed that he was not aware of doing this to her. Her main recollection of the sexual act is that she could not breathe during intercourse. A discussion was held with Mr. Bundy regarding this incident and he stated affirmatively that he did have sexual intercourse with Sandi Gwinn but depicted her as a disturbed girl (although employed as a counselor at the Harbor View Health Center) who was giving vent to her imagination. 

Sandi Gwinn, 1970

While Ted has resided in Salt Lake City- off and on since September 1974- he had dated numerous girls, some of whom were led to believe that they were “the only ones” whom he was going out with at a given period of time. The most notable of these girls are: Marguerite Maughan, the daughter of Supreme Court Judge Richard Maughan, and Leslie Knutsen, age 31. 

Margith Maughan, 1965

Leslie Knudson was interviewed and reported that she had sexual intercourse with Ted Bundy on several occasions and described these relations as normal as far as she was concerned. She stated that she met Ted Bundy at a party given by a friend in June 1975. She began dating him shortly thereafter and continued dating him off and on until late August of 1975. Miss Knudson stated that she had been married once previously and was divorced a very short period of time prior to meeting Bundy. She said on their dates together that she, Ted, and her seven year old son, Josh, visited the mountains for picnics and also went to drive-in movies. Additionally, they would spend time together in her apartment. She stated that Ted always allowed her to take her son with them and enjoyed acting as a father-surrogate to him. She said that Ted drank heavily by her standards and was moody and talked frequently about Miss Kloepfer to her. Specifically, she indicated that it was his belief and feelings that Liz had lost respect for Ted due to his “playing around with other girls.” Ted also confided in Miss Knudson that Liz “dropped him” in late August of 1975, shortly after his arrest. Miss Knudson stated that she broke off her relationship with Ted Bundy in late August 1975 because he became more and more moody and made the statement to her after her arrest on August 16, 1975, that “my world is falling apart.” She broke off her relationship as Ted Bundy became more and more moody. He also began drinking more heavily, and on one occasion she stated he passed out drunk on her living room floor. She felt she could not handle this kind of relationship and consequently terminated the relationship in late August 1975.

There is no known objective data available in the area of possible homosexual activity on Ted Bundy’s part; however the defendant was reported by Charles Shearer to have frequented bars, such as the Sun Lounge, where homosexuals congregate. Mr. Bundy stated to Charles on one occasion that he liked being around homosexuals because they are “fun, happy people.” The defendant denied this to this agent on March 3, 1976. He stated that he had never had any homosexual experience. 

The Sun Tavern, a Salt Lake City gay bar Ted was known to frequent, circa 1970s. Courtesy Johnnie Aguirre.

NOTE: The defendant presents himself as a very personable, intelligent, and handsome individual who has dated numerous girls in a rather clandestine manner in the past several years. He has typically “used” girls with whom he has been close by borrowing money from them and by leading them to believe that he was dating only one girl at one time. He was formally engaged to be married to Elizabeth Kloepfer for example, in December 1975, but was living with several other girls during this engagement period. He has been reported by Jerry Thompson to have been involved in sexual relations with Liz Kloepfer. His formal dating pattern appears to have commenced when he was age 20. He may have dated earlier than that but it is not known that he has done so. He has been rejected by most of his girlfriends by his own admission and also by objective data. He was rejected by girlfriends when when they learned of his involvement with other girls, or because of his moodiness and because of charges bought against him and his subsequent conviction. It is suspected that he may have also been involved in homosexual experiences in the recent past but this has not been documented.

EDUCATION BACKGROUND: Theodore Bundy attended the elementary school system in Tacoma, Washington. He then matriculated to Hunt Jr. High School in Tacoma and subsequently entered Wilson High School in Tacoma. He has a history of good school attendance with fluctuations in the level of performance within the school curriculum. He is viewed as intelligent and did on occasion work at a high caliber level. The consistency of high caliber work was, however, sometimes lacking. Ted received above average grades while at Wilson High School and graduated in 1965. While attending Wilson, he participated in track and did relatively well in that sport. He also tried out for basketball but was found to be too small and as a result did not make the team.

Ted Bundy’s senior portrait, 1965.

Following the defendant’s graduation from Wilson High School, he attended the University of Puget Sound during the 1965-1966 school year. At that time he did not declare a major. The following year Ted reports that he worked at various jobs and did not attend any university. He then resumed his collegiate studies by attending Stanford University during the summer of 1967, at which time he took an intensive curriculum of Chinese studies. He seems to have lost interest in Chinese studies for he left after the summer session and returned to the University of Washington for the fall semester. During the winter semester of 1967-68 he again took general courses without declaring a major. The following semester he again sat out and worked at the Olympia Hotel and the Safeway Stores, Inc. in Seattle.

Ted next attended Temple University in Philadelphia for one semester in 1969. While attending Temple University he was reporting to have been residing with relatives there on his mother’s side. After completion of one semester at Temple University he returned to Seattle where he worked again at various jobs for about one year. The defendant next re-entered the University of Washington June of 1970 and official declared a major in psychology. He then rather consistently attended the University of Washington until June 1972 at which time he received his Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology.

Theodore Bundy applied to the University of Puget Sound for the fall semester of 1973 and was accepted. He attended rather sporadically there but still was able to maintain above average grades. During 1973, and possibly earlier, Ted applied at various law colleges throughout the United States including the University of California, Berkeley; the University of Oregon; the University of Southern California; the University of Utah; the University of Washington and the University of Colorado. Additionally, he applied to several eastern universities. According to the defendant he was not accepted to any of those colleges of law except for the University of Utah. He claims to have been accepted by the University of Utah initially in the 1973 year but did not wish to attend at that time because he was attending the University of Puget Sound College of Law. He applied a second time and was given a letter of acceptance to attend the University of Utah College of Law for the 1974-75 school year. It is of interest that the defendant claims a 3.57 grade point average on the composite grade basis for his attendance at four different universities. However, his actual grade point average seems to be lower than that and this was why he was not accepted at various law schools in other states. It is of interest that on the defendant’s application for admission to the University of Utah College of Law he stated that he had never attended any other college of law at any time in his life. An interview with Mr. Bruce Zimmer, Dean of the University of Utah College of Law, revealed that Mr. Bundy had made the statement on his application for admission. When asked why he had done this, Mr. Bundy stated that he felt his chances for acceptance might have been jeopardized had he admitted to having attended the University of Puget Sound Law School. He made the claim that his grades at the University of Puget Sound Law School were high, and therefore he was not afraid of a records check on his grades having been made by the University of Utah College of Law.

While at the University of Utah College of Law, Ted was in attendance for only two or three days during his first quarter. It should be mentioned that no record of attendance is formally kept on students at the University of Utah College of Law; and therefore, an objective per diem attendance cannot be made. However, Ted Bundy’s chief instructor at the College of Law was Professor Tim Bailess who asserted that Mr. Bundy had only attended his classes on two or three occasions. Additionally, Dean Bruce Zimmer also verified this statement. Furthermore, interviews with three law students, who also were peers of Mr. Bundy and attended law school at the same time he did, confirmed that they had only seen Ted Bundy in school on two or three occasions during his first quarter. Mr. Bundy attended considerably more frequently during the next two quarters and his overall grade point average for his year of attendance at the University of Utah College of Law was high enough to allow his return for a second year. According to Dean Zimmer, Ted got B’s and C’s and was viewed as a student with a slightly below standard grade point average. Mr. Zimmer did confirm that Ted Bundy would have been accepted back for a second year had he not become involved with his present conviction and also had he not lied on his admission form that he had not attended any other law school.

NOTE: The defendant’s educational background shows sporadic attendance from high school through law school. He has attended five universities since 1965 but has frequently vacillated between various courses of studies and between attending school and not attending school. He is viewed as very intelligent and has the inherent capacity to do well in almost any facet within the realm of higher education. He has received above average grades both in high school and at the five universities which he has attended, in spite of his sporadic attendance. He has been viewed by teachers and peers as a “loner” and as a person who has not “cracked a book.” His work production and achievement is not viewed as commensurate to his capacity.

EMPLOYMENT: The defendant reported the following sequential employment history covering the past ten years of his life. Most of these employment occupations have been verified; a few have not.

  • Seattle Yacht Club; Parked Cars; September 1967 – January 1968
  • Safeway Stores (Seattle); Stocker; April – July 1968
  • Olympia Hotel; Bus Boy; 1 month in 1968 (unknown data)
  • Campaign for Art Fletcher, associate of Governor Evans; campaign legwork; summer 1968
  • Legal Messengers, Inc; Delivery man; September 1969- May 1970
  • Ped Line Medical Supplies; Delivery man; Late 1970-early 1971
  • Seattle Crisis Clinic; handling crisis calls at night and early morning hours; Sept 1971-May 1972
  • Harbor View Mental Health Center; Therapist/counselor; June 1972-September 1972
  • Re-election for Governor Dan Evans; campaign leg work; September 1972- November 1972
  • Seattle Crime Commission; develop issues regarding crime; 11/1972- December 1972
  • King County Law Enforcement Planning; Recidivism Rate of Female Sexual Offenders; January 1973-April 1973
  • Department of Emergency Services; helped prepare the 1975/1976 Biennial Budget; Summer of ’74
  • Night Custodian, U of U while attending College of Law; Custodial work; Late Spring and early Summer 1975
Ted Bundy as a Dan Evans campaign aid, 1972.

NOTE: Information received shows that Ted was suspected of petty thefts while employed at the Olympic Hotel as a bus boy in 1968. He worked there one month and consequently quit because of some allegations being made against him. Charges were never formally brought against him and, therefore, there is nothing on his record to show any convictions or charges in this area. 

Additionally, while employed at the Harbor View Mental Health Center he was viewed by at least one fellow employee, Sandi Gwinn, as not capable of being emotionally responsive to the needs of his clients and patients. He also was suspected of engaging in inappropriate conduct with one female client while at the Center. 

Mr. Bundy admitted to this agent to having been “fired” from his job at Legal Messengers, Inc. for failure to report for work one day. He was fired from his custodial position at Bailiff Hall at the University of Utah College of Law due to missing work and showing up drunk on one occasion. This is confirmed by the Head Resident of Bailiff Hall, who was also Ted’s employer, Mr. Jim Schuster.

MILITARY HISTORY: Theodore Robert Bundy has never served in the military. He was on the lottery system at one point but in 1969 broke an ankle and, therefore, was classified as either 4F or 2F. According to Ted he was classified as 4F. According to other information received it was 2F. However, it is known that Mr. Bundy was never called formally to serve in the military.

FINANCIAL STATUS: Mr. Bundy is indebted at the present time but he is not sure exactly how much money he does owe. He does owe money to his attorney, Mr. John O’Connell and Mr. Bruce Lubeck. He also is being defended on some pending offenses by other attorneys. In terms of material assets Mr. Bundy did own a 1968 Volkswagen and also a 1955 Ford truck.

On August 21, 1975 Mr. Bundy did convey to Mr. Vince Walton the original certificate of title to his 1968 VW as security on his bail bond and at the time obviated the ownership of his automobile. Also he sold at that time his 1955 Ford truck. Mr. Bundy, therefore, is without any appreciable material assets.

HABITS: Mr. Bundy stated that he has had a problem with drinking alcohol in the past but has not equated himself with being an alcoholic. He did admit to being a problem drinker at one point.He stated that several months prior to his arrest he switched from alcoholic beverages to marijuana. He stated that he could not handle his drinking problem and, therefore, switched to marijuana. He clarified somewhat his classification of “having a drinking problem” by saying that he would drink to excess and then would become physically ill. He also apparently was quite moody on occasion when drinking alcohol. Additionally, the defendant was known to have passed out while drinking. Statements by Charles Shearer and Leslie Knudson independently showed that the defendant has literally passed out, or has given the impression of having passed out, while in their physical presence in their independent apartments. Mr. Bundy does not have a record of either drug abuse or alcohol abuse. He has not been seen smoking marijuana by anyone to this agent’s knowledge; however, he does, as the court is aware, claim to have smoked marijuana on August 16, 1975. Mr. Bundy was asked about the frequency of having smoked marijuana and he stated that he smoked about one joint per week.

RELIGIOUS HISTORY: Mr. Bundy was born into an active Methodist family. His parents are Methodists and apparently his brothers and sisters are Methodist. Mrs. Bundy married her present husband, John Bundy, in the First Methodist Church. Ted Bundy stated that he was relatively active as a pre-adolescent and adolescent in the First Methodist Church in the Seattle-Tacoma area. He said that he was active in attending Sunday meetings and also Methodist Youth Fellowship meetings. He stated that after he moved to Salt Lake City he became somewhat acquainted with the LDS Church and was subsequently baptized into the LDS Church. He reported that he was baptized into the LDS Church in early August 1975. He has not been very active in the Church because of his arrest on August 16, 1975 and subsequent incarceration. However, prior to his baptism he was known to go on some outings in the mountains with his church group and also attend his meetings.

HOBBIES AND INTEREST: Ted Bundy stated that he has had the following hobbies and interests: politics, law, creative writing, traveling, skiing and reading. Future plans listed by Mr. Bundy include entering into a criminal law center in order that he might be able to “right some of the numerous wrongs presently incurred by the legal-judicial system.” He asserted that he would also like to get married and raise a family in the future. He has additionally harbored in the recent past a desire to become the Governor of Washington State after a criminal law career.

Ted Bundy and Molly Kloepfer skiing, undated. Courtesy Liz Kloepfer/Amazon Studios.

MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH: According to all sources contacted, including the defendant, Ted Bundy has never had any serious physical problems. He did, however, in 1969, break one ankle for which he then was classified as 4-F by the military and consequently never inducted. Mr. Bundy has had the normal physical ailments, but as far as can be ascertained, he has never suffered from any serious physical disabilities.

In terms of Mr. Bundy’s mental health, extensive investigation has been done into his background and it is determined that he has never undergone any formal psychiatric treatment in the State of Washington, or Utah, or any other state. Ted expressed the attitude that he feels he does not need any psychiatric help for any present problems which he may be harboring discomfort. Several psychological evaluations have been done on Mr. Bundy relative to this Presentence Investigation as well as preceding his Court involvement relative the Aggravated Kidnapping for which he was found guilty on March 4, 1976. 


Carol DaRonch, circa 1974. Courtesy Carol DaRonch/Netflix.

A collateral contact was held with Miss Carol DaRonch on March 5, 1976 in the office of Adult Probation and Parole. Miss DaRonch on this occasion presented herself as a tall, slender, very attractive girl with long, dark hair. She is an outspoken girl who gave the impression of being somewhat naive and having a poor memory, although sincere in what she said. Throughout the course of the interview she claimed she remembered little of the feelings and impressions she may have had relating to anything pertaining to the Aggravated Kidnapping in this case. She responded by saying “I’m sorry, I don’t remember” or something to that effect. Miss DaRonch seemed somewhat nervous in terms of why she was being interviewed but this agent explained to her a Presentence Investigation Report had been ordered on the defendant and that it was customary to interview all victims in all cases encompassing the victims of a crime. She was told that she was not on trial but that her perception and recollection of events regarding certain questions asked her would be appreciated. Miss DaRonch did seem somewhat defensive at the onset of the interview as if she felt that she were on trial. During the course of the interview she seemed to become more relaxed. She was very candid in her statements regarding her poor memory relative to certain events but did not seem particularly embarrassed by it. 

She was asked by this agent to relate essentially what happened on November 8, 1974 in reference to herself. She began by relating that she is employed for Mountain Bell. She stated that she was employed by Mountain Bell at that time. She was age 18 1/2 at the time of the offense. She indicated that she left her place of employment at approximately 5 o’clock and went directly home. She stated that it took about 15 minutes to arrive home. She changed clothes at home and then went to the Fashion Place Mall with the intention of buying a present. She stated that she drove her automobile to the Sears parking lot on the west side of the Mall and then entered the Mall though the Sears door. This would have been through the Southwest doors. She then proceeded through Sears and the Mall and walked towards Castleton’s and down toward Auerbachs. She indicated that while in the Mall she stopped and talked to her cousins for a few moments. The cousins then left for another part of the mall. She indicated that she stood looking into the Walden’s Bookstore for a few moments after her cousins’ departure. She indicated that she turned around and was proceeding back toward the Sears area when she was approached by the suspect. She could not recall how long she had been in the store up to this point but feels he that it was probably about 10 to 12 minutes. She indicated that she did not look at her watch when she entered the store or when she left Walden’s and would not know exactly how long she was there.

Evidence photographs of Fashion Place Mall; November 1974.

She indicated that the suspect approached her and asked her if she had a car in the parking lot on the West side of Sears. She was asked to describe this individual and stated that he seemed to have had rather long, think dark brown, rather oily appearing hair and she believed that he had a mustache that was neatly trimmed. She indicated that he had some green slacks on and a dress jacket and appeared to be nicely groomed. She stated he did not have a beard on and did not have any hair about his face except for a neatly trimmed mustache. She stated that he appeared to be somewhat taller than herself. She gave her own height as about 5’7” and said he was about 5’11” or six foot tall and slightly slender to medium in build and appeared to be better than average looking. She stated that after she reported to him that she had a car in the parking lot he asked her for a license number. She indicated that she can’t recall whether she gave the number to him first or whether she asked if he were a police officer; however she stated that he did identify himself as a police officer and also that a suspect had been caught trying to break into her car. She asserted that at this point he wanted her to accompany him to where her car was situated in the parking lot so that she might be able to identify this suspect. She claimed they then walked together out of the mall and into the Sears parking lot where her car was located and where she thought the suspect was. She indicated that she walked out of the store with her assailant and walked a few steps behind him but at the side of him, and at times looked down at his pant legs, noticing he was well attired and also was walking in long strides. She stated that she also noted that he had rather long, dark brown hair that seemed to be oily or perhaps wet from the rain. She indicated that the two of them walked to the car and she was asked to check her vehicle for possible damage or break in. She was asked to check her vehicle by unlocking the driver’s side and looked in to see that nothing was missing or damaged. She looked inside and everything seemed to be ok. She also looked at her vehicle’s exterior noting there was no damage to that. She was then asked to go over to the other side of the car and open up the passenger door because the alleged police officer wanted to check inside. She indicated she remembers that she told him “no that it was not necessary”; that she could see in the car that nothing was damaged or missing.

Evidence photograph of Fashion Place Mall’s Sears parking lot; November 1974.

She stated that they then walked back inside the mall where her assailant indicated to her that he believes the car prowler suspect would be located and that she could then identify him and sign a complaint. They then proceeded back through the mall, back through Sears, and out into the parking lot on the other side of the building. She stated that the assailant looked around and stated to her that the burglary suspect must have been taken to the Murray Police Substation nearby. She left to again accompany him to where the Murray Police Substation was allegedly located. The two proceeded back to the mall, walked across the mall parking lot and across 6100 South to a laundromat which is on the north side of 6100 South. At this time her assailant told her that this was the Murray Substation and he believed that the suspect would be located there and she could then sign a complaint. She stated that the defendant tried the door and found that it was locked. She indicated that she was somewhat suspicious all during this time but stated that he looked nice, presented himself well and was calm and did in no way suggest himself to be anything other than a police officer, except that she had not really seen his identification to this point.

The laundromat “Officer Roseland” claimed was a police substation. Photo courtesy Merrill & Winn.

She feels she was quite gullible in believing him without seeing identification but stated that she basically believed he was telling the truth. She therefore reluctantly followed him through the various locations. She stated that at this time she was told by her assailant that they would have to go to the main Murray Police Department and she accompanied him to his vehicle which was parked on north side of 6100 South. She indicated that his vehicle was an older Volkswagen and was not sure of the year or the exact color but indicated that it was sort of a beige or whitish color. She stated that while walking to his car she asked some identification and he kind of laughed, as she recalls, but did pull out a billfold which had the badge. She stated to this agent that she did not recall whether it was silver or gold but does recall that it was rather small and oval shaped and appeared to have some writing on it. She stated that she did not look that closely and indicated that he quickly put the badge away.

She indicated that after they got into his car he put on his seat belt and asked her to put on hers. She stated that she declined to put on her seat belt but recalled that he did make sure that he had her door locked. She stated that they then drove out of the parking lot and drove to the McMillan School which was located on 1500 East and approximately 5800 South. She stated that he suddenly pulled up over the curb beside the street and then the two tires on the right side came down off the curb. She stated that after he pulled up and parked the car she asked him what he was doing. She stated that he did not reply but lunged at her. She stated that she grabbed for the car door and was able to get it open as he grabbed her left wrist and put handcuffs on it. She said that at that time they fought and she was quite hysterical and she was screaming and yelling “What are you doing? Let me go!” She stated that at this point the assailant reached into his coat pocket and pulled out his pistol. She stated that she did not know what kind of pistol it was but recalled that it was black. She indicated that she saw the pistol and struggled harder. She indicated that she managed to get outside of the car and her assailant followed her across the street and out the car. She asserted at this time that she believed that he tried to hit her with a crow bar. She stated that she had felt her father’s crow bar on many occasions and recalls that this is what it was. She admits that the lighting at that time of night (which would have been about 7:30 pm), was quite poor. She does recall grabbing a round object which she stated she feels was a crow bar. She stated she grabbed his hand just as he was about to lower it. She feels that he was trying to strike her and recalls fighting very violently with him and may have scratched him across the face and hands. She indicted that she was able to tear loose and she ran down the street where a car pulled up. She opened the car door and jumped in. She indicated that the elderly or middle aged couple were kind enough to take her to the Murray City Police Department where she then gave her statement to Detective Riet. She claims that she was shown several photographs at that time but did not recognize her assailant. 

The approximate assault location outside McMillan Elementary in Murray. Undated. Courtesy Rob Dielenberg

She was not then approached, she claims, until the following August or September of 1975. She stated that she was at work and police officers came to her and showed her some photographs. She indicated that she was also shown numerous photographs in the mug books and that she eventually came to pick out Ted Bundy’s photograph. She stated that she was not 100% sure when she first identified him. She stated that she was only 90% sure on the basis of his picture alone. She indicated she was not sure whether he had a mustache or not because she first said he did have a mustache and, then she said she thought he didn’t, and, then she did again. She did state, however, that basically she believed that it was Theodore Bundy. She stated that the picture of Bundy looked more like her assailant than anyone else. She indicated that a lineup was shown to her some time later in which Bundy was present and when Bundy walked through that lineup she was absolutely 100% sure. When this agent asked her why she suddenly became that sure, she stated that it was because of the way he walked and also his hair. She also stated that he basically “looked like him.” Miss DaRonch stated that she did change her mind in terms of his mustache and in terms of many other things, including the color of the badge, but she is positive that Theodore Bundy was her assailant on that night based upon all of the physical identification of him and his walk and so forth. This is all of the information which Miss DaRonch cared to give relative to her version of the offense.

Ted Bundy’s first arrest mugshot, August 16, 1975. Courtesy Bountiful Police Dept.

A collateral contact was held with Detective Jerry Thompson of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office. Detective Jerry Thompson stated that he has been the prime investigator in the Ted Bundy case and that he initially arrested Ted Bundy on August 16, 1975. Officer Thompson then stated that he first interviewed Ted Bundy on August 21, 1975 when he went up to the Salt Lake County Jail and got a consent from Bundy to search his apartment. Det. Thompson indicated that he and Sgt. John Bernardo and Det. Bob Warner of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office met Ted Bundy at the entrance of the jail on 8/21/75 and there proceeded to Mr. Bundy’s apartment at 565 First Avenue, #2. According to Jerry Thompson, Ted Bundy had previously signed a search of his apartment and this search consent was signed in the presence of Det. Ben Forbes of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office. After the consent to search the apartment was obtained Ted Bundy joined Det. Thompson, Sgt. Bernardo and Det. Warner and a thorough search of Ted Bundy’s apartment was made on the 21st of August 1975. Jerry Thompson stated that he was most impressed with Mr. Bundy’s emotional state. He indicated that the defendant was very calm and at no time during the search of the apartment did he ever ask any of the detectives why they wanted to see the apartment or what they were searching for. Additionally, at no time did he ask any of the police officers why they wanted to take pictures of his automobile. Det. Thompson stated that in the many years he has been involved in investigations as a police officer has he ever come across anyone who has been so seemingly disinterested in such an intensive investigation. Jerry Thompson stated that during most of the essential search of the apartment that Ted Bundy remained rather passively seated on the couch in the living room as the police officers intensively searched the apartment. A thorough search of the apartment was made by Detective Thompson and he came up with only three items: a Colorado map, a brochure on the ski resorts in the state, and a recreational type brochure from the Bountiful Recreation Center. Also, a book called The Joy of Sex was gathered with the other items and placed into evidence with Mr. Bundy’s permission. Det. Thompson indicated to this agent that he had asked Mr. Bundy if he had ever been to the State of Colorado and Mr. Bundy replied, prior to the consensual search order, that “No, that is one state I have never been in.” Det. Thompson stated that he made a very thorough search through the meticulously kept filing system of Mr. Bundy’s and came across a charge card number from the Chevron Oil Credit Card which Mr. Bundy owned. He indicated that he wrote that number down and Mr. Bundy did not ask why he was doing that. Det. Thompson stated that he gave this credit card number to Det. Mike Fisher in the State of Colorado who has been conducting a search for the murderer of the five girls in Colorado. According to Det. Thompson the Chevron Oil Card number has been used by Mr. Bundy in Glenwood Springs, Colorado on January 12, 1975; in Golden, Colorado on March 15, 1975; in Silverthorne, Colorado; in Grand Junction, Colorado and Golden, Colorado in April of 1975 on the four weeks of that month. Detective Thompson went on to say that he was struck by the neatness and complete lack of dust or anything being out of order in Ted’s apartment. We thought it very strange that Mr. Bundy could be so meticulous or that anyone could be that meticulously clean. 

Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Detective Jerry Thompson 1975. Courtesy Amazon Studios.

Detective Thompson stated that he and Detective Ira Beal of the Bountiful Police Department, and Detective Dennis Couch of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office, flew to Seattle, Washington on September 17, 1975 and talked to several of Ted Bundy’s previous girl friends. Detective Thompson stated that he talked to Elizabeth Kloepfer a girl who had known Ted Bundy for approximately six years and who had dated him intimately for three years. According to Detective Thompson, Elizabeth Kloepfer had some doubt about Ted Bundy going back to mid 1974 when numerous girls had turned up missing in the Seattle area. She had contacted  the King County Sheriff’s Office with her suspicions and talked with Detective Bob Keppel as well as other police officers regarding her feelings about Ted Bundy. According to Officer Thompson her first suspicions started in June or July 1974 when Seattle put out a composite picture which resembled Ted Bundy. Also, the name “Ted” was attached to this composite picture which was being circulated by the King County Sheriff’s Office. According to Det. Thompson Miss Kloepfer was shown this picture at work and at that time, or shortly after that time, went to the King County Sheriff’s Office with her suspicions. According to Detective Thompson Elizabeth Kloepfer claimed she found a number of items in her apartment which were unexplained, like plaster of Paris, elastic bandages which the subject so called “used” up in the Seattle area, which Bundy could not explain to her. Detective Thompson reported that Elizabeth Kloepfer went on to say that she found a meat cleaver, an axe, and a large knife in her apartment which Bundy could not explain to her. According to Elizabeth Kloepfer Ted Bundy was observed on numerous occasions going out in the middle of the night and at one particular time he had an object in his pocket which she later found out to be surgical gloves. She claimed to Detective Thompson and Ira Beal and Dennis Couch that Bundy would follow her and her girlfriends and seemed to like to jump out at them from behind the bushes just to scare them. According to Miss Kloepfer, Ted Bundy’s sexual habits changed markedly in 1974 from what she termed “normal relations” to perversion. Ostensibly, Elizabeth Kloepfer claimed that Ted Bundy insisted on having anal intercourse with her and also in tying her legs with nylons. According to Detective Thompson he does have in his possession a tape of part od the interview held with Miss Kloepfer and understands at this time that Miss Kloepfer has changed a lot of her statements, trying to “play down” statements which she made earlier to him on 9/17/75. It should be mentioned at this point that Detective Bob Keppel of the King County Sheriff’s Office in Seattle, Washington also confirmed to this agent in a telephone interview that Miss Kloepfer did, in fact, come in and share this information with him regarding her suspicions on Ted Bundy. 

Detective Thompson indicated also that he had interviewed many other people including another girlfriend of Ted Bundy’s living in the Seattle area. Her name is Mary Lynn Chino. She presented basically the same statements as did Elizabeth Kloepfer. 

Detective Thompson said that in his opinion the most unusual thing about Ted Bundy during the whole investigation was that when Detective Thompson finally went to place Bundy under arrest, that he was so tense and nervous that Det. Thompson thought that Mr. Bundy was going to pass out. According to Det. Thompson he was then told that he was under arrest for Aggravated Kidnapping and at that point, Bundy became so relaxed that Det. Thompson thought Bundy was going to wilt. He indicated that Bundy replied, “Oh, is that all?”. According to Det. Thompson, Bundy has been well controlled and relaxed ever since that statement.

A collateral contact was held with Louise Bundy by telephone on two occasions. The first occasion was on March 5, 1976. The second occasion was on March 10, 1976. On March 3, 1976 this agent called Mrs. Bundy who resides in Tacoma, Washington. Mrs. Bundy confirmed that she is age 51 and resides with her husband, John C. Bundy (who is age 55). Mrs. Bundy stated that she is employed as a secretary at the University of Puget Sound and that her husband is employed as a diet cook at the Madigan Hospital on the Ft. Lewis, Washington grounds. Mrs. Bundy confirmed that Ted Bundy was born illegitimately on November 24, 1946 in Burlington, Vermont.  She stated that she had gone with a young man for a short period of time and that after she became pregnant he left and she has not seen him since. She stated that after the birth of her son, she and he moved to Philadelphia, Penn. where they resided with her parents for about four years. She stated that when Ted was about 4 1/2 years of age they then moved to Brown’s Point, a suburb of Tacoma, Washington. She claims that shortly after that she married her present husband. She asserted that her son was extremely diligent in junior high school and has obtained good grades. She stated that her son was very active in track, football and basketball and was quite popular at school. She stated that her son gets along very well with his siblings and with his adoptive father and with her. She stated that her son has never undergone any psychiatric or emotional counseling to her knowledge and has always been a normal, popular young man. She stated that she would like to send letters from family members and friends to show the judge the tremendous outpouring of support for Ted Bundy by the people in their community. She was encouraged to do this.

Sandra Bundy, 1975

A collateral contact was made by the way of telephone to Sandra Bundy, the defendant’s married sister, who is currently age 19 and who resides in the Tacoma, Washington area with her husband. She confirmed that she is age 19 and has been married for a short period of time. She stated on March 3, 1976 that she and the rest of her family has always been very close to Ted. She indicated that Ted never had any psychiatric tests, problems, or treatments to her knowledge and indicated that Ted lived in the Tacoma area most of his life. She declined to give much information and seemed quite nervous and sharing any information regarding her brother with this agent. 

Collateral contacts were made by way of telephone to Elizabeth Kloepfer in Seattle, Washington. Miss Kloepfer was called by this agent on March 4, 1976 and she subsequently called this agent back on March 10, 1976. Miss Kloepfer asserted that she has known Ted Bundy since 1970. She stated that she was engaged to be married to Ted Bundy in December of 1975 but broke off the engagement because of his arrest on August 16, 1975. She claims that she had dated Ted Bundy about three years and felt that he was somewhat resistive initially to getting married but they had set a date in December of 1975 to get married. Miss Kloepfer appeared to be very nervous on the telephone and was somewhat evasive. She stated that she did contact the police on about October 29, 1974 after she saw a composite picture drawn that looked somewhat like Ted Bundy. She said a composite picture was drawn up by the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office which depicted the suspected murderer of eight girls in the Central Washington area between January 1974 and July 1974. She said that the picture looked somewhat like Ted and also had the name “Ted” in conjunction with that picture. She stated that she did keep her eyes open as to whether the particular person suspected of killing eight girls in Washington could have been Ted Bundy. She stated that she did, in fact, find some plaster of Paris in her apartment and some surgical gloves, some crutches, an axe, a meat cleaver and some knives. She gave some plausible reason as to why these items existed. She said that Ted Bundy was a gourmet cook and therefore had reason to have a meat cleaver knife in the kitchen. She stated that she did, in fact, have a lug wrench that was taped up halfway on the handle, in her car, and that Ted had given to her in 1970 following considerable student rioting at the University of Washington. She was told by Ted that she should leave that in the car for her self protection. 

Liz Kloepfer, undated. Courtesy Liz Kloepfer/Amazon Studios.

Miss Kloepfer was asked about her relationship with Ted in the sexual area. She confirmed the fact that she and Ted had had sexual relations on numerous occasions. She stated that initially this was rather frequent and a little later became quite sparse and she wondered if perhaps Ted was being unfaithful to her. She did suspect Ted of having another girlfriend somewhere but could never prove that. She did say that Ted frequently took night classes at the University of Washington in Seattle and did, in fact, spend three nights a week taking night classes one semester and would not get back until after 11 o’clock at night. She attributed that somewhat to the diminished frequency of the sexual relations. She felt that he was just too exhausted from taking night classes. Miss Kloepfer seemed to want to make a strong point of playing down the conversation which she had with Det. Thompson and Ira Beal and Dennis Couch when they were at her apartment to see her on September 17, 1975. She claimed to this agent on March 4, 1976 that when the three police officers were interviewing her that she was “rattled” and may not have been thinking too clearly. She stated that Ted Bundy has not had any personality changes. She stated that he has never engaged in any unusual sexual behavioral relations with her and that he has always been a good father surrogate to her daughter Molly, age 10 years, who is the product of a former marriage of Miss Kloepfer. She stated that she was very frightened and rattled and, after seeing pictures that looked somewhat like Ted Bundy being circulated as the murderer of eight girls in Seattle, she did go to see Detective Keppel of the King County Sheriff’s Office. This was in August of 1974. She revealed her fears to the police at that time. She told this agent on March 4, 1975 that she wishes now she had not done that.

It is of interest that Miss Kloepfer called this agent back on March 10, 1976 and stressed very strongly again her statements mass the preceding week in which she had asserted that she did not feel Ted Bundy is linked to any murders in Seattle, or in any other areas for that matter. She again stated that she wished that she had not gone to the King County Sheriff’s Office and related her suspicions regarding Ted Bundy. She also wishes now that she had not given an interview with Detectives Jerry Thompson, Ira Beal, and Dennis Couch.

Kathy F., 1965.

A collateral contact was held with Kathy F. on March 12, 1976. Kathy F. is a speech teacher at Brigham Young University. Miss F. indicated that she was a classmate of Ted Bundy at Hunt Jr. High School and also at Wilson High School in Tacoma, Washington. 

She stated that she has known Ted Bundy for a period of six years. This was during the period of time that they went to school together. She stated that she has not seen Ted Bundy since they graduated from Wilson High School in 1965 and went their separate ways. She indicated that the Junior High School and High School was considered upper middle class. She stated that within that district area, however, there was a segment wherein resided lower to middle class families. She stated that Ted Bundy’s family fit into this category, and was considered to be quite poor. She indicated that Mr. Bundy, however, always came to school and dressed up quite nice. 

She indicated her main impression of Ted was that most of the girls wanted to date him but that he was very shy, or at least aloof, and to her knowledge never dated anyone while in junior high school or high school. She stated that he was a very hard worker and got good grades while in junior high and high school. She stated that he was very popular because he did get good grades and was very handsome. She indicated that although Ted was viewed as aloof, and possibly shy, he was in no way anti-social. He would talk to people and would not allow himself to become very close to people.

Miss F. stated that in her opinion Ted Bundy had a very interesting speech pattern. She claims she has always been interested in speech patterns and noticed that he had a northeastern accent. She stated that most people liked him and considered him the “all American boy type.” She claims that she personally had a “crush” on him as did most of the other girls. She stated that to her knowledge she was not aware of a broom closet incident in which Ted Bundy was alleged to have masturbated and where-in the kids would then throw water on him. She stated he well have done this but was not personally aware of that. Again Ms. F. has not seen Ted Bundy since 1965. 

A collateral contact was held with Leslie Knutson. Mrs. Knutson stated that she is age 31 and has one child, Josh, a son, age 7, by a former marriage. She stated that she met Ted Bundy at a party in late June of 1975 and began dating him about one week later. 
She stated that she viewed Ted Bundy initially as fairly sociable although somewhat aloof. She claims that at the party he did not drink much and seemed quite nice. She stated their dates consisted of going to drive in movies. She claims that Ted would always include Josh on their dates together. 
She indicated that Ted Bundy began drinking more heavily during the course of their dates together over the summer and that she became very concerned over this. She stated that on one occasion he drank so heavily that he passed out on her living room floor. She claims that other than that he did not seem particularly unusual. She admitted that they had sexual intercourse on several occasions but she stated, “In my opinion, they were normal relations.” 
She indicated she broke off relations with Ted because he became so moody and that he began wandering around verbally and physically and told her on one occasion that, “My world is falling apart.” She stated that Ted frequently talked about Elizabeth Kloepfer and how she lost respect for him because he had been dating other girls while engaged to her. She stated that Ted told her on some occasion that he had political aspirations and wanted to be Governor of Washington State. 

Leslie Knudson, 1975

A collateral contact was held with Detective Bob Keppel of the King County Sheriff’s Office.  Detective Bob Keppel informed this agent that his office initially became involved with Ted Bundy specifically when Ted Bundy’s girlfriend came into the office and reporter that she was fearful that the composite picture bearing the resemblance of Ted Bundy and also the name “Ted” may, in fact, be her boyfriend. This was in August of 1975. Detective Keppel at that time (with other police officers) took her statements regarding Ted Bundy’s unusual behavior and his having unusual implements (plaster of paris, knives, cutting boards, machetes, etc. in his apartment). 

Det. Bob Keppel stated also that Ted Bundy’s psychology teacher at the University of Puget Sound, Dr. Saracen, called the police department and stated that, “I have a weird guy in my class who has a 1968 Volkswagen and who matches the composite picture from your office.” Also, apparently, Bundy was sporadic in his attendance in school. Mr. Keppel stated that Bundy was in Law School at Puget Sound and was doing somewhat poorly. He consequently applied to various other law schools and was rejected due to low grades.

According to Detective Keppel, Miss Kloepfer had reported to him (and two other police officers of the King County Sheriff’s Office) that a very dramatic change in his sex life (as viewed by Miss Kloepfer) commenced in approximately January of 1974. According to Detective Keppel, this coincided with the first disappearance of the missing girls in Seattle, Washington. Detective Keppel stated that Elizabeth Kloepfer reported that Bundy had begun having anal intersource with her and also was tying her up with nylon stockings.

According to Detective Keppel, Ted Bundy, while incarcerated in Salt Lake County Jail, wrote a letter to Ann Rule (a professional mystery writer living in the Seattle, Washington area) which was viewed as a lengthy letter written in verse form that may have been a confession letter. Detective Keppel stated, however, that Ann Rule had given instructions to Detective Keppel that she did not want that letter to leave the police department, or a copy or a facsimile thereof. Therefore, in his area this is purely speculative as to whether the letter is purely fictionalized or whether it presents some of the behavior of the defendant. 

Detective Keppel stated that Ted Bundy was not acting appropriately with some of the female clients at the Harbor View Mental Health Center and also at the Olympia Hotel where he was employed. He was suspected of stealing things from the lockers. According to Detective Keppel, Ted Bundy was released from his work at the Harbor View Mental Health Center and was fired from employment at the Olympia Hotel.

Detective Bob Keppel stated that there is evidence to believe that Ted Bundy was involved with the slaying in Seattle and sufficiently enough that he forwarded the information to the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s office after it was learned that Bundy had moved from Seattle, Washington to Salt Lake City to attend law school in September of 1974. 

A collateral contact held with Bruce Zimmer, Dean of the University of Utah College of Law. Dean Zimmer was interviewed in his office at the University of Utah College of Law on March 4, 1976. 

According to Dean Zimmer, Ted Bundy, did not stand out in the class. He stated that he has known Ted since approximately August 15, 1975. Dean Zimmer reported that Ted Bundy initially, during his first quarter of attendance at the University of Utah Law School, attended very poorly during his first quarter of classes. According to Dean Zimmer, Ted Bundy’s main teacher was Mr. Jim Baillin, who also reported that Bundy only attended two or three days of his class. Dean Zimmer reported that the defendant had received a few B’s and all of the rest were C’s. Dean Zimmer equated this with Ted’s being slightly below average in his academic standing. 
According to Dean Zimmer, Ted Bundy behaved very responsibly after his arrest in August of 1975 in terms of informing Dean Zimmer, and also his other teachers, as to being a suspect in the kidnapping of Carol DaRonch. Bundy was always viewed as rather calm in relationship to his arrests and the suspicions of kidnapping, according to Dean Zimmer, and he felt this was highly unusual because (as he indicated) he had taught at the Columbia Law School for five years prior to August 1975 and has also interviewed suspected and convicted criminals who have always displayed some degree of agitation or fearfulness regarding possible sentencing outcome. 

Mr. Zimmer stated that Ted only seemed nervous once and that was when the police came to the University of Utah College of Law to arrest him. Dean Zimmer stated that Ted was seen two weeks prior to his being found guilty and seemed to be very calm and acted jocular and happy when he was not sure of the outcome of his sentencing two weeks away.
Dean Zimmer stated that Ted Bundy was seen coming to Law School dressed up very fastidiously and appearing quite attractive at times but on other occasions appeared to be quite “grubby” and “unshaven.” 
Dean Zimmer stated that when Ted Bundy submitted his application for admission to the Law School that he stated he had never been admitted to any other Law School when he had, in fact, attended the Law School at the University of Puget Sound. Dean Zimmer stated that this would be grounds for dismissal from the Law School. 
Dean Zimmer stated that the only unusual other thing that he could recall about Ted was that he never signed his name on any forms or papers. He had always typed everything including his name. 

A collateral contact was made by way of writing from a neighbor, Mrs. Louise Storwick. She wrote a letter from Tacoma, Washington, dated March 9, 1976:

Dear Mr. Hull: 
I feel I must write to you in behalf of Theodore R. Bundy. Until Ted graduated from Wilson High School he lived one block from us. As a classmate and friend of our son, he spent many hours at our house and beach place. After Ted left Tacoma, he would come to see Mr. Storwick and me two or three times a year. We looked forward to his visits and enjoyed them very much. We were happy to have him spend any of his free time at our beach cabin. If, however, we ran into Ted at the University of Washington District, he was always open, smiling and glad to see us. We are proud of the way he applied himself to his chosen career and we even looked forward to voting for him some day.
In 1970 our three and a half year old granddaughter strayed from her parents at Green Lake in Seattle. I only wish I could impress you with a double surprise when a young man pulled a child from the water and it was their daughter! And her savior, good old Ted Bundy!
I know the Ted Bundy we know and admire is innocent. I realize Ted’s career has been destroyed and the bizarre perversity has made and will continue to make his life difficult.
Please do not allow Ted to be unjustly sentenced to unfair confinement as well.

Sincerely, Louise Storwick
Tacoma, Washington

Linda Bundy, 1971.

A collateral contact was made in the form of a letter from the defendant’s sister, Linda Bundy, who resides in Tacoma, Washington. Her letter is dated March 12, 1976:

I am Ted Bundy’s sister, Linda. I am 23 years old and know very well what is going on. I know my brother and how interested and concerned he always has been about people and that he would never hurt anyone. I love my brother very much. I believe in him when he says that he did not try and hurt that girl.
My brother worked very hard to get somewhere in life. It was not easy, going to school and working to pay his way through school. It is hard work and it takes lots of money to be a good lawyer. My brother wants to be a good lawyer so that he can help people. He would never hurt anyone. My brother is not a kidnapper, I’m sure. I know one time when he saved a little girl from drowning and another time when a man took a lady’s purse and ran off and my brother caught him and got the lady’s purse back. My brother is a good man. I cannot understand how you think that my brother could have kidnapped that girl. That it was no hard evidence that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that my brother did what you said he did. I know that he did not do it.
Ted has always been very concerned about his family. I can remember one time when he was home I understand my sister was going out. My brother asked who she was going out with and where she was going because he was concerned. He has been concerned about me and my family because I live alone with my two children. Even though he was away from home and busy with work and school he always found time to call to see that everyone was all right. Ted has always been concerned about my brother Glen as to what he was going to do when he was done with high school. I know that he has talked to my parents about getting Glen to get a job or to go into college. He is now in the Navy. Ted has always been a very special person to our little brother, Richard. We all believe in our brother and believe him when he says he did not kidnap a girl. We know he is not guilty because we know him better than anyone else does. I love my brother very much and believe in him. My brother has lots of friends and they all believe in him, too. Thank you for taking time to read my letter. I am sure you are a good man, too.

Sincerely, Linda J. Bundy

A collateral contact was held by way of writing with a Mrs. Nancy A. Her letter dated March 10, 1976 is as follows:

Dear Mr. Hull,

I have known Teddy just about all of my life, having attended First United Methodist Church. Ted and his family were always good workers in the church and usually people who grow up in the church don’t stray.
Teddy was always there, eager to learn and understand the Lord’s teachings. It is my prayer that each person involved in this case, from Judge to you, has prayed for guidance. I hope that you, the Judge and others concerned have reason beyond a doubt to convict, judge and sentence.
Ted is not the person who does this sort of thing! I feel as though I know him as well as my own brother and I doubt that he is the guilty party. I trust him now as I always have and I believe an injustice has been done.
In conclusion I can only pray God’s guidance through the Holy Spirit into the hearts and minds of those persons deciding on Ted’s future.

Sincerely, Nancy A. (Mrs. Edward A.)
On behalf of Ted Bundy

NOTE: It should be mentioned that several letters have been received from the Seattle Tacoma area on behalf of Ted Bundy. Most of these letters have been sent to the Court and will not be reduplicated in this Presentence Investigation Report because of the excessive amount of time and paper which it would entail.

A collateral contact was held with Mrs. Mary Walsh, who resides with her husband Wilbur Walsh, at 144 East 5600 South, Murray. Mrs. Walsh stated that her husband and she were driving on the night of November 8, 1974 and she recalls that it was a very dark, misty sort of night and as a result of that they were traveling rather slowly. 
She recalls that they were driving about 20 to 25 miles per hour when they pulled around the corner on 5900 South and 315 East where the McMillan School is located. She stated that they drove around the corner and suddenly saw a girl standing in front of the car. She was screaming and appeared to be hysterical. They, of course, slammed on their brakes. When they did so, she ran around to where Mrs. Walsh was seated and opened the door and jumped in. Mrs. Walsh stated that her first impression was that the girl was going to do some harm. Mrs. Walch recalls looking down at Carol DaRonch and thinking there might be some guy standing behind ready to jump in and do some harm. She stated that the girl appeared to be very hysterical and was screaming, “I can’t believe it–oh, I can’t believe it.” 
Mrs. Walsh stated that when the car door was opened the overheard light was on and she could see that Carol DaRonch had some handcuffs on. Mrs. Walsh could not recall which hand the handcuffs were on. She stated that as soon as the girl jumped into the car, she grabbed a hold of Mrs. Walsh very tightly and hugged her. Mrs. Walsh stated that she had the impression that if Carol could crawl inside of Mrs. Walsh she would have done so, she was holding on to her so tightly. 
Mrs. Walsh stated that Carol was extremely hysterical and kept repeating, “I can’t believe it, I can’t believe it.” She would then gasp and say, “A man…a man.” Mrs. Walsh kept trying to calm down Carol with little effect. She stated that Carol DaRonch kept taking long gasps of air and kept repeating that a man was trying to hurt her. After Carol did calm down, as they approached the Murray City Police Department Station, Carol mentioned that the man had a gun to her head and threatened to kill her. She said also that the man had a crowbar and threatened to hit her with that. Mrs. Walsh stated that she remembers that Carol DaRonch had only one shoe on.
Mr. and Mrs. Walsh took Carol DaRonch to the Murray City Police Department. Mr. and Mrs. Walsh remained with Carol until the Police escorted Carol to an office. Mrs. Walsh stated that she and her husband spent approximately ten minutes with Carol from the time they picked her up at the McMillan School until they brought her to the Murray City Police Department and they stayed with her while the police escorted her to an office. This is all of the information which Mrs. Walsh could give relative her perception of Carol and the incident that occurred on November 8, 1974.

SUMMARY: The case now appearing before the Court involves a 29 year old American, Caucasian male who has entered a plea of not guilty to the criminal offense of Aggravated Kidnapping, but who conversely was found guilty of this offense on March 1, 1976 following a trial of about one week’s duration. The criminal offense of Aggravated Kidnapping is a Felony 1. 

The offense for which the defendant, Theodore Robert Bundy, was found guilty involves his abduction of Carol DaRonch on November 8, 1974 from the Sears parking lot west of the Fashion Place Mall using the pretext that he was a police officer and after having shown Miss DaRonch a badge purported to be a Murray City Police Department Officer’s badge and, furthermore, after identifying himself to be a police officer of the Murray City Police Department. Miss DaRonch allowed herself to enter Mr. Bundy’s car when Mr. Bundy purported to Miss DaRonch that he was going to take her to the City Police Department and sign a complaint against a man who was reported to have been trying to break into Miss DaRonch’s automobile. 
Mr. Bundy took Miss DaRonch several blocks from the Mall adjacent to McMillan School located at 2900 South and Third East. The course of the struggle, the handcuffs which Mr. Bundy pulled from his sports jacket were locked on Miss DaRonch’s wrist; however she was able to exit the passenger’s side of the automobile and Mr. Bundy followed after her across the seat, pulling a black revolver from his coat and threatening to kill her.
He also had a blunt instrument which was reported by Miss DaRonch as having been or felt like a crow bar and had made a gesture to strike her on the head with that crow bar. Miss DaRonch, in fearing for her life, was able to restrain the defendant momentarily and then to break away. 
After breaking away from Mr. Bundy, Miss DaRonch ran down the street a short distance and there stopped an automobile belonging to Wilbur and Mary Walsh who reside in Murray. Miss DaRonch jumped into the automobile and the Walshes took Miss DaRonch to the Murray City Police Department where she gave a detailed statement to the Murray City Police Department, Detective Riet. Mr. Bundy was able to evade arrest at that time.

In terms of a prior record, Mr. Bundy does not have a prior conviction or arrest. A check with the Utah State of Bureau of Criminal Identification, the FBI and various other police departments in the western United States disclosed that the defendant had no arrest prior to August 16, 1975. 

Mr. Bundy was initially arrested on August 16, 1975 and charged with Attempting to Evade a Police Officer in the early morning hours. At approximately 2:30 am on Saturday morning, August 15, 1975, Sgt. Robert A. Hayward of the Utah Highway Patrol noticed a grey-appearing Volkswagen going by him at a high rate of speed as he was seated in his automobile in front of his house. 
Sgt. Hayward called for some backup units and began pursuing the Volkswagen. Sgt. Hayward ran stop signs at Brock Street and LeMay and again at the entrance of 35th South off of Brock Street. Sgt. Hayward had his red spotlight on the fleeing vehicle when he ran the stop sign at Brock and LeMay but the fleeing automobile went as fast as possible. 
Sgt. Hayward was finally able to pull the individual over at a gas station at the corner of 27th West and 35th South. At that time, Theodore Robert Bundy pulled out his driver’s license which showed that he resided at 565 First Avenue in Salt Lake City. Mr. Bundy stated at that time that he was lost in a subdivision and was trying to find his way out. 
Mr. Bundy was asked what he was doing out at 2:30 in the morning in that area and he stated that he had just returned from seeing a movie (The Towering Inferno) at a local drive-in theater. It should be mentioned at this time that a check revealed the Towering Inferno had not been playing that night and Mr. Bundy then changed the story to say that he was lost in the subdivision and was trying to find his way out.

Original evidence photo. Courtesy Bountiful Police Department.

Mr. Bundy also has the pending offense of Possession of Burglary Tools. Mr. Bundy was formally charged on August 21, 1975 for this offense. This offense is the outgrowth of the incident resulting from his arrest for Attempting to Evade a Police Officer on 8/16/75. On 8/16/75, after Mr. Bundy was stopped at the gas station, a consensual search was made of his automobile which produced a number of tools and items that appeared to be burglary tools. In his car were some handcuffs, some nylon panty hose which had a mouth hole and eyes cut out of it, a ski mask, several pieces of light sheet material torn up into strips and pieces of rope cut into lengths. Also there was an ice pick found in the automobile and various other tools scattered around the automobile. It is of interest that on August 21, 1975 that Detective Ondrai and Deputy Joe Miller of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office received from the then suspect Bundy an explanation for the items that he was carrying around in his vehicle. His explanation on 8/21/75 was as follows: His explanation for the handcuffs was that he found them in a garbage dump near the apartment where he resided at 565 First Avenue, #2. He informed the officers that when he was in Seattle he had occasion to detain a suspect who was stealing a ten speed bicycle and he had to scuffle with the party until the police arrived and had no way of restraining him. When he found the handcuffs in this dump by the apartment he thought they would be a good item to carry around in case a similar situation ever arose. To this agent he stated essentially the same thing but insisted that he did not have a key for the handcuffs and, therefore, the question arises “How could a person restrain someone when there is no key?”

Mr. Bundy’s explanation for the panty hose with the mouth hole and eyes cut out and the ski mask was that during the winter of 1974 he had a lot of night classes at the University of Utah and the weather was very cold and he was not used to that. Then he remembered that he saw in a film that mountain climbers put a mask of nylon over their head before putting on the ski mask and he consequently obtained the panty hose to wear under his ski mask for that purpose.
Bundy’s explanation to the police officers on August 21, 1975 for the piece of white sheet material and rope is that he owns a small raft which he rows around and that he used the material to tie the oars together and keep everything in a bundle. Mr. Bundy’s explanation for the pieces of sheet material to this agent on March 3, 1976 was that he used cloth strips to tie up the philodendron plants in his home and also his pant legs so that they would not get caught in spokes. Again, the question arises, “Why would one keep strips of cloth in one’s automobile to use for tying up a philodendron plant kept in one’s house, and also to tie up one’s pant legs to ride a bicycle?” His explanation for the ice pick on 8/21/75 was that this was merely a common household item. Then the question arises, “Why have an ice pick in one’s car if it is a common household piece of equipment?” It should be pointed out that Mr. Bundy was very cooperative when he allowed the police officers to search through his automobile on 8/15/75. He was later asked why he was so cooperative by a girlfriend, Margith Maughan. His reply to her was “Oh, I didn’t mind. The police are too dumb anyway to find anything.”

Another complaint has been filed by the Utah State Tax Commission charging Mr. Bundy with fraudulent application for a motor vehicle title. This has been rescheduled for Preliminary Hearing on March 23, 1976. This complaint charges that on September 5, 1975 Mr. Bundy knowingly made a false statement on his application for a duplicate certificate of title with the Motor Vehicle Division of the Tax Commission. This alleges that he had already conveyed the original title on his 1968 Volkswagen to a Vince Walton on August 21, 1975 as security on a bail bond and that under oath he claimed that the original had been lost or stolen. The claim was that he then sold the vehicle and duly executed the false vehicle title on or about September 17. A discussion with Mr. Bundy in the Salt Lake County Jail relative to this complaint revealed that he attempted to sell his 1968 VW and also a 1955 Ford truck because he needed money to continue in law school. He felt that he would sell the vehicles and then move closer to campus. It is of interest, however, on the sequential order that he at no time previously tried to sell his automobile and truck but that he attempted to sell it the evening of his release from the Salt Lake County Jail on 8/21/75.

Title transfer for the VW.

Theodore Robert Bundy was born on November 24, 1946 in Burlington, Vermont. He is an illegitimate son, the product of an out of wedlock union between Louise Bundy and a man she had met in the Burlington area. Ted Bundy and his mother resided for a few months in Burlington, Vermont and then moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where Mrs. Bundy’s parents resided. They remained there until Ted was age 4 ½ years and decided to move to Brown’s Point, a suburb of Tacoma, Washington. 

Shortly after the move there Mrs. Bundy met John Bundy and married him. Ted Bundy was formally adopted and his name was changed to Bundy at that time. It should be pointed out that Ted Bundy was born as Theodore Robert Cowell. He had his name legally changed in a Philadelphia court from Cowell to Nelson on October 6, 1950. As has been mentioned it was then formally changed to Bundy after his adoption by John Bundy. 

Ted Bundy appeared to have done well in elementary school, Hunt Junior High School in Tacoma, Washington and also Wilson High School in Tacoma, Washington. From all reports he appears to have been a hard worker and received good grades while at Hunt Jr. High School and Wilson High School. 

There is a discrepancy in this investigation in that Mrs. Bundy reported that Ted Bundy dated in late Junior High School and in High School and received numerous phone calls from girlfriends and had girlfriends over to the house. (This is found on page five of her typed letter dated March 10, 1976.) However, Ted Bundy stated that he did not date until after his completion of high school. Additionally, an interview held with Kathy F., who is presently a speech teacher at Brigham Young University, who went through Hunt Jr. High School and Wilson High School with Ted Bundy, revealed that she and other girls were very attracted to Ted because of his good looks but were frustrated because of their inability to date him. Mrs. F. also stated that to her knowledge and to the knowledge of other girls with whom she had talked at that time, Ted Bundy did not have a girlfriend and did not date at all. Ted Bundy was viewed as being aloof and as one who did not date.

Ted Bundy did go out for sports in high school and apparently did fairly well in track. He did try out for basketball but did not make the team because of his small stature at the time. Ted Bundy graduated in 1965 and he entered the University of Puget Sound. From this point he vacillated greatly between various jobs and five different universities. Please refer to the Employment History Section of this Presentence Investigation Report and to the Educational Background Section of this Presentence Investigation Report for an extensive compilation and sequential order of events in this area.

Ted Bundy has the following family constellation: John C. Bundy, an adoptive father, currently age 58, who resides in Tacoma, Washington. He is employed currently as a diet cook for the Madigan Hospital on the grounds of Ft. Lewis, Washington. The defendant’s mother is Louise Bundy who is age 51. She is employed full time as a secretary at the University of Puget Sound. Ted Bundy has four younger half brothers and sisters who are as follows: Linda Bundy, a sister, age 23; Glenn Bundy, a brother, age 22, who is in the Navy in the Orient; Sandra Bundy, a married sister, age 19; and Richard Bundy, a brother, age 14. According to all reports, the family is quite close. 

The defendant has never married, however he was engaged to be married to Elizabeth Kloepfer in December of 1975. He reports that he broke off the engagement, which was a rather lengthy engagement period, shortly after she learned that Ted Bundy had been arrested on August 16, 1975 relative to the Aggravated Kidnapping Charge.

The defendant appears to have good physical health and questionable mental health. He has never served in the military. His hobbies and interests include politics, skiing, creative writing and traveling. He has estimated financial debts of $2,000 incurred from his present legal maneuvers. His future plans, he stated, include becoming a criminal law attorney and getting married and raising a family.

He has not been employed for several months because of his arrest. His last job was as a custodian at the University of Utah in Balliff Hall while enrolled as a law student.

The defendant does not have a drug abuse or alcohol abuse problem at the present time. He stated that he gave up alcohol some months ago because, “it made me sick.” The defendant was raised as a Methodist but was baptized a Latter Day Saint in August of 1975. He did go on outings with the church and attended some of his meetings but did have a Word of Wisdom problem in that he did smoke and did drink.

Respectfully submitted,

Donald M. Hull, Investigator


Bob Park, MSW, Senior Supervisor


  • The defendant
  • The Defendant’s mother, Mrs. Louise Bundy
  • The defendant’s sister, Linda Bundy
  • The defendant’s brother, Richard Bundy
  • A sister, Sandra Bundy
  • The victim, Carol DaRonch
  • Detective Jerry Thompson, Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office
  • Elizabeth Kloepfer, the defendant’s girlfriend
  • Kathy F., speech teacher, BYU
  • Leslie Knutson, former girlfriend
  • Detective Robert Keppel, King County Sheriff’s Office, Seattle, Wash.
  • Dean Bruce Zimmer, University of Utah College of Law School
  • John Barberich, Ph.D., a Psychologist and Consultant, King Co. Sheriff’s Office
  • Mrs. Nancy A., friend of the defendant
  • Mrs. Mary Walsh, witness to the aftermath of the kidnapping of Carol DaRonch
  • David Yocom, Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
  • John O’Connell, attorney for the defendant
  • Records of the Utah State Bureau of Criminal Identification
  • Records of the FBI
  • Records of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office
  • Records of the Salt Lake City Police Department
  • Records of the Bountiful City Police Department
  • Records of the Murray City Police Department
  • Records of the King County Sheriff’s Office
  • Records of the Salt Lake County Attorney’s Office
  • A statement by Charles and Rosemary Shearer
  • A statement by Robert Haywood, Utah State Highway Patrol
  • A statement by Marguerite Maughan, former girlfriend of the defendant
  • A statement by Bart F., law student, University of Utah College of Law
  • A statement by Gloria Ann H., a law student at the U of U 
  • A statement by Alan M., Law student, University of Utah
  • Psychological Evaluation and Report by Evan Lewis, Ph.D, Psychologist and Consultant for the Adult Probation and Parole Office
  • Psychological Evaluation and Report, Summaries by Gary Jorganson, Ph.D., Psychologist employed by the Utah Drug and Alcohol Clinic at the University of Utah Medical Center

Special thanks to Alex Campbell for her generous nocturnal transcription assistance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s