This is the first installment of Ted Bundy’s Utah State Prison records, released to me after a year of denied appeals to the Utah Dept. of Corrections and a final, successful appeal to the Utah State Records Committee. This is the first time these records have ever been seen outside of the Utah Department of Corrections. These records document Bundy’s actions during the six months he spent in the Utah State Prison after his kidnapping conviction and sentencing in July, 1976. Notably, he planned an escape in October after learning that Colorado was planning to extradite him for the January 1975 murder of Caryn Campbell. The plan was thwarted and Bundy was transferred to Aspen in January, 1977.

Ted Bundy’s Utah State Prison commitment mugshot and enrollment card. Courtesy Utah Dept. of Corrections.


3-24-76: Received this date for a 90 Day Evaluation. Bundy arrived at the institution at approximately 0930; he was placed in protective custody. Bundy specifically asked not to be placed in protection. Deputy Warden Hatch made the decision that he would not be placed in protection, but instead be housed on the R & G unit.

4-1-76: Inmate was administered the Education Performance Test and received the total battery of 249-11.8.

4-5-76: Inmate was administered GATB and received the following Aptitude Scores: 134 129 130 124 137 151 101 80 127

4-13-76: Bundy had ID cards, blank checks, and credit card in his possession during shakedown this date.

5-23-76: Inmate Bundy did volunteer to sweep and mop the floor of ‘fish’ tier.

6-8-76: Mr. Bundy’s evaluation continued one week until June 15, 1976 due to incomplete psychological. Mr. Bundy requested a personal appearance before the Diagnostic Staffing Committee. This request was denied as was his same request of March 29, 1976. Mr. Diddens explained the reasons for denial of the Diagnostic Staffing Committee to his request. Thus, Mr. Diddens explained the reasons earlier and also again later on March 29, 1976 to Mr. Bundy.

6-15-76: It is recommended that Mr. Bundy be committed to the Utah State Prison.

7-07-76: Committed.

7-28-76: Treatment letter recommends that a recognition of personal problems is a prerequisite to any meaningful counseling activity. As Mr. Bundy is a very capable individual he should be able to work at almost any occupation here in the prison. Due to the violent nature of the crime, his custody will be Medium Block.

The A wing of Wasatch Medium Security at the Utah State Prison in 2015. This building has remained unchanged since 1951. Photo: Utah Dept. of Corrections.

7-29-76: Assigned to cell A-211.

8-02-76: Assigned to Print Shop.

9-28-76: Mr. Bundy was seen today by the Classification Committee requesting to be moved to B block. His record shows that he has not been any problem in the way of disciplinary. He has been involved in his treatment and is also maintaining a good work record. He seemed to be very interested in what he is doing and in moving through the system. He states that he does not have any detainers. He desires to move through the system and be released. His appearance was very good, his attitude was exceptional and he was accepted to move.

Medium Security Unit cells in 2015. Courtesy Utah Dept. of Corrections.

9-30-76: Moved to cell B228.

9-14-76: At 17:48 CO Seymour saw Theodore Bundy at the end of tier B-2. Seymour was going in as he started back up tier 2. At officers cage Seymour told him he was off limits. Bundy acted as if he didn’t know. Seymour told him to stay off.

10-1-76: Bundy participated in the Racketball Doubles Tournament held October 1, 1976. His attitude and sportsmanship was very good.

TO: Warden Samuel W. Smith via Leon Hatch, Deputy Warden
FROM: Russell Boyce
SUBJECT’S NAME: Theodore Bundy
DATE OF INCIDENT: October 18-19, 1976
SPECIFIC NATURE OF INCIDENT: Traveling kit for escape
TIME OF INCIDENTS: Monday Oct. 18 (10:30 am); Tuesday Oct. 19 (2:30 pm)
NAMES OF ALL WITNESSES: Lynn Clayson; Fred Evans
OTHER CONTRABAND INVOLVED? Yes- social security card

NARRATIVE OF EVENTS: Monday morning, October 18, 1976 at approximately 10:30 am, I returned to my Print Shop from the V.T. Building. At this time Mr. Bundy was fooling with a wooden box. As I entered the shop, he became very nervous and proceeded to hide the contents of the box in the bottom of a garbage can.
The rest of the day I merely observed his actions and nervousness. On the above day, Mr. Bundy stayed very late at his job assignment; I presume to find out if I was going to shake down the garbage can, which I did not do on the day above but I did the next morning (Tuesday, Oct. 19). Before leaving shift on the 18th, I informed Lt. Bona to keep an eye on Mr. Bundy that evening as he was acting very strange. I spent my whole evening trying to decide what to do. At this time, I thought the things in the garbage can might be contraband printing. At home that evening I decided to go into my Print Shop early and shake down the garbage can. In doing so, I found items for an escape kit. The items I found were: airline schedules for Salt Lake City International Airport, a shaving kit, bandages, candy bars, peanuts, Chapstick, sun lotion, a sketch of an Illinois driver’s license, and a Utah road map.
At this time I decided the items were not contraband but had decided what they were going to be used for. I decided to watch this escape kit and see what was going to be done with it.
On Tuesday morning, the 19th, Mr. Bundy seemed to be nervous again and spent quite a bit of time talking to Mr. Metropolis. During lunch I informed Mr. Clayson and Mr. Evans of the garbage can and the escape kit that I was watching. At approximately 1:00 pm, Mr. Evans, Mr. Clayson, and myself were sitting at my desk in the Print Shop pretending to be discussing the deer hunt, while all three of us were watching the garbage can and the two inmates to see what was going to happen with it. At this time I was called to an outside phone call which has to be taken in Mr. Thomas’ Office (approximately 400 feet away, which left me leaving the area). While I was gone, Mr. Evans and Mr. Clayson said that Mr. Metropolis had moved the garbage can to another area.
Shortly after that, with Mr. Bundy watching point, Mr. Metropolis transferred the contents of the garbage can into a small cardboard box. He taped the box up and moved it to yet another area.
At approximately 2:15 pm, October 19th, I received a phone call from one of the Industries Clerks informing me that there would be an inspection on Wednesday, October 20th and to make sure my shop was cleaned up and in order. I then told my crew to get the shop straightened up and cleaned up. At this time I moved into the area where the box was sitting. Everytime I got close to the box, Mr. Bundy tried to draw me off by asking questions about a job that he was running on the Off Set Press at the time. I would answer his questions, head towards the box again, and yet another question would be asked. About this time I opened the back door to the Print Shop; Mr. Clayson, Mr. Evans, and myself stepped out onto the balcony. I then informed them what I thought I was going to do about the situation; they both agreed.
I then walked into the shop, picked up the garbage can that had had the items described above in it, and walked out the front door of the Print Shop with the garbage can. With Mr. Evans and Mr. Clayson present, I dumped the contents of the garbage can out to make sure nothing was left in the can. I then returned to the Print Shop at approximately 2:30 pm and told my crew that we were going and then accompanied all of them to the Sallyport where Mr. Russell had been informed to skin shake all of them. During the skin shake, a social security card was found on Mr. Bundy. The social security card belonged to [name redacted] and the number on the card was [redacted]. All of the rest of the inmates were clean. I then returned to the print shop where Mr. Clayson and Mr. Evans had found the box, and dumped the contents which are described above onto my desk. We proceeded to shake the print shop. At this time I called Mr. Hatch and informed him of the situation. I thought possibly Mr. Bundy might try to hit the fence, since I had busted up his escape attempt.
With help from various custody officers, we then shook down all of the garbage cans in the print shop looking for contraband. We did not find any sample of any type or anything that indicated they had tried to make a [redacted].
I was asked by Mr. Sharich and Mr. Hatch of who Mr. Bundy had been associating with during the past few weeks. I then gave him five names that I thought Bundy had been associated with and told him to shake them down.

The Deseret News, September 1972. Using the prison print shop for contraband production was a known problem prior to Bundy. Salt Lake Detective Couch would later hear Bundy’s final confession in 1989.

NAME OF INMATE: Theodore Bundy
TIME: 14:42
SPECIFIC VIOLATION CHARGED: Possession of social security card of another person
FACTUAL INFORMATION: While assisting Mr. Russell in The Sallyport of Medium Security at 1442 on 10-19-76, Inmate Bundy was coming into the Main Building. Russell ordered a “skin shake” of Bundy and two other inmates. I shook Bundy and found the social security card in the name of [redacted] in his Levi’s pocket.

NAME OF INMATE: Bundy, Theodore


DATE: 10-26-76
FINDINGS: Pleads guilty
EVIDENCE: Bundy stated the social security card was found in his possession.
REASON FOR DECISION: This is a threat to the security of the institution.
FINAL DISPOSITION: 15 days in isolation; referral to Classification Committee.

  1. Arrangements have been made to ensure the availability of representative, witnesses, and evidence.
  2. During hearing, inmate has been advised of charge against him and evidence which supports charge.
  3. During hearing, inmate has been given opportunity to respond to charge.
  4. During hearing, inmate has been given opportunity to call witnesses and present documentary evidence as per the guidelines.
  5. Verbal notification of decision has been given to inmate.
  6. Committee’s decision has been posted.
  7. Committee’s decision has been placed in inmate’s file.
  8. Copy of Committee’s final report has been forwarded to Board of Pardons.
Photo: Utah Daily News, Jan. 16, 1977.

C-Notes, Continued:

10-19-76: Transfer to MAX; print shop position cancelled.

10-26-76: From MAX to ISOLATION.

Bundy Utah Prison 1976

11-09-76: Theodore appeared in person before the Classification Committee on this date. He was referred here from the Major Disciplinary Committee in regard to consideration of a possible custody change. Theodore recently received a disciplinary report. There is also a report from Officer Boyce in regards to his behavior and actions and his place of employment at the print shop. He has also received some notification of charges pending in Colorado. He was asked regarding this and he stated he understood warrants were made; however, they have not been served on him as yet. Mr. Bundy was told that it was the feeling of this Classification Committee that because of his behavior as noted in Mr. Russell Boyce’s report, the disciplinary report regarding the social security card and the various pressures of possible arrest warrants which are pending, we recommend to Executive Classification he be made Maximum Custody.

11-12-76: Classified Maximum. Transferred to Segregation.

Utah extradition order Ted Bundy 1976
Utah Governor’s Executive Order authorizing Bendy’s extradition to Colorado, Nov. 23, 1976. Courtesy Utah Dept. of Corrections

12-9-76: Inmate Bundy was seen today by the Classification Committee on a Regular Classification. It has not yet been 60 days since his Major Write-Up for which he was moved to Maximum Security. So, at this time there could be no change made in his custody. He was notified of this decision.
RECOMMENDATION: We made no change in his custody.

12-10-76: Mr. Bundy was sent to prison on Aggravated Kidnapping charge with a sentence of l to 15 years. He is presently being housed in the Maximum Security Unit because of a write-up he received for possession of contraband. He has both mental and physical capabilities to be able to be able to work through the prison system and be able to make something of his life. It is the recommendation of Classification Committee that Mr. Bundy be given a two year rehearing due to the seriousness of the offense. During those two years, Mr. Bundy should take advantage of as many of the prison programs that he can in order to keep some contact with the outside. He should make every attempt to continue with his education if it is made possible to him.

12-20-76: While shaking Bundy’s cell, CO Ridley found one bottle and dropper containing approximately 2 drops of fluid.

1-12-77: Board of Pardons hearing: continued pending outcome of his appeal.

1-13-77: Inmate Bundy appeared before the Classification Committee today on a Regular Classification. He appeared before the committee with a positive attitude. We discussed the fact that he would probably be extradited on approximately January 27th, 1977. It would not be feasible at this to refer him back to Executive Classification for a custody change. His C-notes were read to him. It was the recommendation of this committee that there be no change made in his custody at this time.
RECOMMENDATION: We made no change in his custody.

1-29-77: Transfer from MAX to O/CT and from Segregation to COLORADO [CUSTODY].

Courtesy Utah Dept. of Corrections

Excerpt from Affadavit In Support of Improvement Of Conditions
May, 1977

“It has been suggested that since I was in maximum security at the Utah State Prison at the time of my extradition to the State of Colorado that there is justification for this extreme treatment. Sheriff Kienast and Undersheriff Meyers advanced this fact as virtually their only excuse for having me transferred on April 11, 1977. They failed, however, to mention why I was in maximum. On October 19, 1976, I was searched when I entered a sallyport. An Officer Dye found in my pocket a social security card belonging to a female friend of another inmate. I was charged with a major institutional violation and given a hearing. I plead guilty to possessing a social security card and was given 15 days in isolation in the maximum security facility. I spent that time and would have been returned to medium security, but for the Colorado extradition proceedings.
It is also inferred that “maximum security” inmates awaiting trial here in Colorado should be treated more harshly than others in the jail. While in maximum in Utah I could watch television and could listen to a radio in my cell. A window, through which fresh air and sunlight, was but ten feet from my cell there. I was given three meals a day, and was allowed to buy protein and vitamin supplements. I was allowed outside once a week. I could work out in the weight room once a week. I could talk freely to a number of other inmates and trustees in the area of my cell. I also had sheets, pillow, and pillowcase, access to barber shop and library in maximum. Maximum security in Utah was a picnic compared to the grossly indecent treatment I receive here.
The type of cell I am in in the Garfield County Jail would be referred to as a punishment cell at the Utah State Prison. Inmates guilty of extremely serious offenses are placed in such cell, but Utah courts hold that anything over fifteen days in such a cell is cruel and unusual punishment. I am guilty of nothing in the State of Colorado yet I am to be kept in such a cell, not for fifteen days, but for months. I have been incarcerated continuously since March 1, 1976. Not once in fourteen months have I ever assaulted, attempted to assault, or been assaulted by another inmate. I have never threatened or attempted to harm a guard or officer. I have always responded toward guards politely, obediently, and non-violently. I have never had or been found in possession of any kind of weapon, drugs, or money. The only violation of institutional regulations I was cited for in the last fourteen months is possessing a social security card, and I did my time for that transgression. For what reason am I to be punished like this? What justification is there for being treated like a dangerous animal with a big sign over my door saying caution?…

The Utah State Prison exterior in January, 1977. Wire press photo.

Theodore R. Bundy, Pro Se
Garfield County Jail

C-Notes, Continued:

6-8-77: ESCAPE


Utah State Prison Office Memorandum
To: Leon Hatch, Deputy Warden; Control One; Business Office; Assignment Office; Records Office
From: Samuel Smith, Warden
June 13, 1977

Subject: Escaped Inmate Theodore Bundy
Please be advised that inmate Theodore Bundy is back on out count. He was apprehended at approximately 1:50 am on June 13, 1977 in Aspen, Colorado.

Utah State Prison Office Memorandum
To: Samuel Smith, Warden
From: Leon Hatch, Deputy Warden
June 13, 1977

Subject: Telephone call regarding Theodore Bundy
I received a telephone call from Earl Dorius, Attorney General’s Office, who stated that escape charges have been filed in Salt Lake City as per your request. Escape charges have also been filed in Pitkin County, Colorado, for escape and also the charge of Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution.
Earl stated he had talked to Dave Yocom who suggested that you discuss the pending charges with him.
Earl also suggested that we familiarize ourselves with the following sections of Utah Code, Section 76-1-201 and Section 76-8-309.

C-Notes, Continued:


7/23/79: On this date, three letters were sent to Leon County in Tallahassee, Florida notifying that a HOLD be placed on Theodore Bundy advising them that he has time yet to be served in the State of Utah.

Ted Bundy record card Utah State Prison
Bundy’s record card. Courtesy Utah Dept. of Corrections.

Leave a Reply